The second „Forum Art of the Modern Era“ from 4 to 6 October 2018, hosted by the Deutscher Verein für Kunstwissenschaft , was dedicated to the phenomenon of transcription, reassessment or revaluation in German Art from the early modern period until the first third of the 19th century.
„Code“, a guiding concept of the semiotic analysis of sign systems, coins models of encoding which constitute a pivotal sector of cultural studies ever since Stuart Hall’s essay Encoding/Decoding (1977): the transmission of a message is to be analyzed in a context-related way, the recipient or consumer is as much influential on the maker as it is vice versa. Luhmann did not define art as the aggregate of the artifacts but as the sum of communications about art. In his book „La struttura assente“ Umberto Ecco pointed out the significance of visual codes for the link between the level of meaning and the level of expression.
- Wolfgang Augustyn (Zentralistitut für Kunstgeschichte, München)
- Dorothea Diemer (Universität Augsburg)
- Birgit Ulrike Münch (Universität Trier)
- Andreas Tacke (Universität Trier)
- in collaboration with Roland Kanz (Universität Bonn)